So that last post may have been premature. We knew that there were potential problems with the house because of the structural / roof issues; what didn’t occur to us (until Kathryn talked to our mortgage broker today) is that me changing job would be a huge-ass problem.
Apparently, because I’m changing job, if I have a probationary period (which I do) they won’t lend to us until that’s over. So I’m going to call my new workplace tomorrow and beg/plead/politely request that they consider nixing the probationary period (I worked there before for 6 months, so I’m hoping they’ll consider this).
Otherwise, well, we’ll put the problem to our realtor – but actually we found out more stuff about the cost of putting a roof on that we’re willing to consider – and that may be enough of a crimp that we decide against it. But then there’s the joy of the fact that we can’t then look for a house until the end of the summer.
So, well, let’s see how this goes tomorrow.
Given how the past year and half has gone, I’m not feeling vastly optimistic.